Monday, April 20, 2009

Trip to Port Aransas for the Sand Fest

I have wonderful childhood memories of going to the coast as a child, every summer. My parents loved it there, particularly in Rockport-Fulton. In the late 60's, they eventually bought a vacation house there and had it for many years. The beach in Rockport was much prettier then, and had real sand, not the rocky stuff that hurts your feet now. When I was young, we used to always stay at Oak Shore Cabins, which have long been blown down by a hurricane. They were un-air-conditioned, and I can remember how the afternoon breeze blew through the windows off the beach. We didn't know it was hot. Everyone came in during the heat of the day and relaxed. One of my favorite memories was when my dad would take me out on the pier---the water was only about three-feet deep, and he would bait my little cane fishing pole with about a third of a shrimp. I'd throw it in, and he would praise me when I caught a little perch, I'd bring it in, and he'd take it off the hook and put it on a big string. After a couple of hours, I'd have about twenty fish and then we'd go back to the cabin to show my mother and brother. Dad would always take a picture, and he'd say, "Now, hold the string way out in front of you, so the fish will look bigger." I loved having my dad all to myself for these special times, and he made me feel like the luckiest daughter in the world. So....when Julie suggested that she and I take Macy and Marshall to the beach this past weekend---Sean had to work---I said, "Yes!" She found a great little cabin for us to stay in, and we took M&M across to Port Aransas to the Sand Fest. It was really awesome. Among other things, we played in the cold surf, caught hermit crabs, fed the seagulls tortillas, released the hermit crabs, and overall had many laughs. I am not going to blog all the events because Julie did a fantastic job on her blog. Go to http://www.seanandjuliemetcalf.blogspot.com/




The sand sculptures were awesome. This is an unfinished one!

1 comment:

Pam said...

O susan, how special the whole weekend was and how special to learn about your childhood. So neat. No wonder you are such a wonderful Mimi and mom and friend.